07 October 2007

a question for the local readers

These past few evenings, when I look out my kitchen window, in a location to the north about mid-Esja, there's an alarmingly bright spotlight shining directly at the sky, a la USA grand stadium. Is this the call for Batman? A sign to planets beyond that the intelligent life is really to be found here on this tiny island, so don't waste your time with Paris, New York, or London? Iceland's way to bump up our contribution to the global light pollution map? I keep thinking it's norðurljós only to remember "oh yeah, the Spotlight oOf Mystery!"

so please, readers, end the mystery, because all I know of in that direction is chicken farms and I hardly think this would be the big plot the chickens have been working on all these months and years.

6 comments:

Professor Batty said...

... it has to be this...

Northern musings said...

Maybe they have been testing it prior to the big event tomorrow??? Who knows, let us know if you solve the mystery

Darien Fisher-Duke said...

Yep, Batty, that was my guess too...

ECS said...

batty: and the non-resident has the answer! I agree that this must be it, since the direction is all right and it looks like that:

musings: I have seen it quite a few times so they must have tested it a lot.

rose: confirmed also by a local, so I have the answer, although I think I liked the batman signal idea better. I wonder what an Icelandic superhero would be like? Flying sheep? Troll-lady from the mountains?

tsduff said...

When we visited Videy Island, it was pristine, and deserted. We hiked around looking at the shorebirds, an anchor washed up on teh beach, and tried to peer inside the unmarked closed building which I assume is a community house or restaurant. It was peaceful and quiet. Gryla would not like it there - no hidey holes for her to hide in :)

Darien Fisher-Duke said...

You know what is odd, is that there have been few to no pictures of the Lennon light online. I don't watch TV; probably the today show or one of those have had lots of coverage. I'd like to see some pictures! How does it look to you?