29 April 2006

car chase!

J is away this evening, so I was getting ready to go downtown when I heard sirens. This is unusual enough that I paid attention, especially when they got louder and louder and then stopped. I went to the window to find a scene below me- a gray truck headed the wrong direction on the street outside, a cop car with a missing front fender, and a whole assembly of other cop cars, including the paddy wagon, and an ambulance.

The police rushed out of the cars and started breaking the windows of the truck with sticks, then hauled a young woman out of the passenger side of the truck, wrestling her to the ground and handcuffing her. They toted her away, then set up a ring of police tape (yep, it's special Icelandic police tape that says Lögreglan on it). Now the accident investigation van is there, and someone's taking photos. The excitement's over. Still, you can relive the thrill by checking out this action photo I got from the balcony. Now that's live reporting from Iceland!

Ship sighting: Yeah.. too busy staring at cars to notice just now, but I noticed another Portugese fishing boat down on the harbor this morning. Must be the season.

3 comments:

ECS said...

about time! mbl.is finally has the story up, with a ground-level photo. See for yourself here.

JB said...

Sweet! Wish I had "scene" it...

tsduff said...

Well, I think your photos were better - ace reporter!