25 August 2005

chasing the sunrise

I'm flying on Sunday, chasing the dawn on the horizon to KEF, on a round-trip ticket that I will not use to return with. It's strange to think that on September 12, a plane with an empty seat that had my name on it will be coming back to Boston.

Next week at this time I'll be waking up in Iceland, swimming in Ice-pools and eating lots of codfish.

It's been a grand last few weeks here, with the most American summertime reunion ever imagined. My brother and wife came to MVY with my 8-month old nephew G, along with her parents. Add my parents, another brother and some cousins all sitting on the porch, chowing on lobster, chowder and watermelon, and you get the picture. We watched the evening arrive at the Menemsha beach, drinking white wine out of plastic cups and sitting with our toes in the tiny waves there. We went to an acapella concert in the grand 19th century church in Edgartown, built on the impressive funds of the whaling captains that settled there, and had ice cream at Mad Martha's down the street.

Everyone went home Monday, and I came off island yesterday, a day marked by the deep blue water of Vineyard Sound, the beginning crispness of autumn in the air, and an outlet shopping orgy followed by coconut shrimp and spinach dip at Ruby Tuesdays. I feel that I'm leaving in proper American style after a day like that!

No comments: