10 August 2005

the unknowable requirement

I haven't written in a while because not much has happened in a while. Lots of porch-sitting, a little painting, and some how-de-do with the neighbors has taken up most of my time.

until today.

I got word from Iceland that they'd added a new requirement to the permit application, a requirement that was not listed on the applications, the instructional forms, or the website in either English or Icelandic. Apparently I need a doctor's note now, something which no liability-minded doctor will write without actually checking me out beforehand.

I am reminded of my college days when before we started the rowing season, we had to get a physical (Hi Angel! I know you remember this). I once again need to be certifiably fit for training purposes apparently, and they're not letting me in until I get inspected, even though I'm going to be inspected by icedoctors in a matter of weeks as a further requirement befor getting the actual stick-in-your-passport res permit.

Of course I can't get an appointment until next Friday, and of course there's more to come following that part of the process (still have to send my passport to the Danes in New York and wait to get it back)

On the positive side, I have the persistent HR guy in Iceland to thank for finding this out at all, since I expect it would have been many more weeks before they'd have told me without his interference, or the worst-case scenario in which they denied me without telling me why. The other good news is that once I've got this letter, I'm approved, and I'll be just that much closer to finally earning my keep again. This idleness and Victorian-style tea sipping out here is starting to get to me.

No comments: