22 November 2005

Stylist to the Stars

I was starting to go all hippy-style shaggy last week so I decided it was time to book an appointment with my favorite stylist, Steinunn. As always, a big part of the haircut is hearing the Latest, and this time was no exception. She told me she had been very busy lately styling for the Christmas issue of Nýtt Líf, Iceland's answer to Vogue. They have a woman of the year issue at the end of the year, and one of the people she styled for it was the former president of Iceland, Vigdís Finnbogadóttir. Up next on Thursday is the Herra Ísland (Mr. Iceland) competition coming this Thursday. You can inspect the contestants and choose your favorite here.

Later, as I was flipping through the pages of British Elle and drinking a cup of their excellent cappuccino, Steinunn pointed to a full-page photo of a willowy brunette (isn't everyone in fashion magazines willowy?) and mentioned that the model was Icelandic. Of course she'd done her hair too. No wonder I've been getting such great haircuts here. She's had lots of practice apparently.

Ship Sighting: On Saturday night we were all out until 4 am showing my bro the Icelandic nightlife, so when we got home it was just the right time to see the oil tanker Oktavius coming in to the tanker dock. This dock is on the outer edge of the harbor and closest to where I live so I could actually see a lot of the docking manoevers.

No comments: